Whats been acomplished this week.
- Started working on “wp-Update-Manager”, a manager for Plugin authors who want to host the Update system themselves.
- Changed the method that Requirements are checked in wp-Update, also a few small display changes
- Continued working on wp-Update-Manager, Sorting out weird JS Bugs.(more on this later)
- Wp-Update-Manager: Can return a Serialised array containing update information for any defined plugin.
- Wp-update: Handles the update text logic better now
- Wp-update: retrieving update information from custom defined source works OK (Plugin URI: http://…./)
- Wp-Update: Fixed a bug with the comparison of Versions
- Wp-Update-Manager: Slugs not name in url.
- Wp-Update-Manager: Added a table of Update URI’s.
- Wp-Update: Major Fix: When running with “short tags = On” you would be greeted with a nice Fatal Error Syntax notice.. oops, all my dev. machines have it turned OFF (And so should you!)
- Wp-Update-Manager: Fixed a few JS bugs
- Wp-Update: Added more comments, reviewed the function layout.
- Wp-Update: Added support for checking if a PHP Extension is available, Implemented a stupid search for version functions from that extension to determine if compatible.
- Wp-Update: Started some work on the Plugin search UI.
- Started the ball rolling with getting a data access method into wordpress.org
Plans for Next Week
Hopefully finalise the API, Get some API/hooks into the plugin to allow extra manipulation by other plugins and what not.
Continue with the Documenting of code (PHP Doc commenting), possibly start work on plugin install proceedures(Should use most of the Theme installation code, so shouldnt be that hard).
Investigate bbPress a bit more, I had someone enquire about the possibility of adapting my plugin to work with bbPress, From what i can see it’ll require writing another front end for it, but other than that, it should be possible to re-use all the back end code if i continue into that. Of course at a latter time i’ll be wanting to test with WordPressMU as well.. i’m not sure if theres any major differences that would need to be taken into consideration there.
Problems Encountered so far (And useful resources)
- The JQuery tabs plugin cant handle tabs being dynamically added.. Wrote my own version for another plugin i’m working on, Copied it intowp-update
- Realised the Tabs JQuery plugin i wrote cant handle multiple tab sections on a page, Added a namespace holder to each tab group.. Started looking ugly at that stage.
- Attempted to work out how to create a custom permalink; Custom Queries (Codex) came in useful there..
- Ran into a bug with register_activation_hook(), traced it back to plugin_basename() not working on Windows Systems, Turns out its a 11 Month old bug(#3002), Apply the changes from another ticket #4408 and submited a diff back to #3002
- More JS Bugs; Remember, Do not create multiple divs with the same ID… JQuery doesnt like it.
- Need to work out how to encue jQuery for a single subpage rather than globally into every option page. (check $pagenow, and then check $_GET[‘page’])
- Locating the function to create a slug, For future reference, its sanitize_title_with_dashes() no mention of “nicename” or “slug” to be found :)
- Completely unrelated to this report, But, Whats the go with TinyMCE breaking out into non-breaking spaces randomly? dont like having to copy-paste to word, do a find replace, and then copy back to code view..
Note: Week 4’s status report was Null and inserted at the end of Week 3’s.