Well, That says it all :)
As i said last week, I’ve mainly been coding behind closed doors, Hopefully next week things will open up to the world a bit more.
This weeks progress
- Finally have some real data to use, so the API is 99% working (Infact, Its doing everything needed right now, But i’m finding bugs now and then)
- Lots of UI Progress:
- Plugin information dialogue prior to installing
Major items that need completing
- Lots of styling
- Grammar & spelling
- Check if the plugs installed first before asking to install
- More styling
- Filtering & ordering in the API / UI
Now, Some Screenshots.
The Search page
Featured Plugins: Plugin listing
Plugin Information dialogue
As my webhost is down; I’m writing my status report here directly this week, And will post to my blog later.
- API: Working locally, Still need to figure out how to use the Plugins tracker code to get a useable plugin zip location (From memory: I couldnt work out the input requirements for the function, The fact i have no useable data other than the core plugin and which meta keys the usual data is stored in isnt helping, But getting access to working test data isnt allways the fastest when people have a life to lead :))
- Plugin Install in WordPress:
- Interfacing with API: Pretty much working
- Searching, Browsing, Etc works
- Installing plugins Works too, Some code has been duplicated from the upgrader, And some code moves from the update main files to a generic common center location (misc.php / file.php)
- Install Confirmation dialogue hasnt been started, I’m waiting on getting the API working before proceeding there.
So far i’ve been coding behind closed doors, Simply because I prefer to release code which works, So far this has just been delayed more as 90% of
the code relies upon the API to be operational. I personally do not mind re-coding large chunks of work, So with that in mind, I’d appreciate it
people were to read over the current code, While you’ll not have much luck in using it yet (I’ll get around to working in some test data if the API
doesnt come good this week), Some comments on the code flow would be appreciated.
The wp_generate_tagcloud function has been changed in that patch, Its able to be re-used now, Infact, I’ll submit a trac ticket for that in a moment
if theres not allready one.
Not much to report this week.
- More API work, End result is defined, Currently finishing off integrating it with bbPress
- Random thinkings on the UI
- Some backend work on plugin installing, Both implementing the new API, and installing plugins
- Some feedback on the UI is stilll flowing in from the wp-hackers message
See, I said there wasnt much of note :)
Exams early this week, But much more work expected to be done in the 2nd half of the week.
First of all, I’ve got to start writing the Weekly reports at the start of the week and filling in the details as it happens.. Remembering whats happened the last week is a PITA.
- Seeked feedback on the UI’s, Mixed response, But a good few responses
- Installed bbPress and started writing up an API
Btw: Whats faster?
- A Query to get the bbPress topics, and then a query to load the first post of each(to get the post_text)
- A single query with a join to grab the post_text along with the topics?
EXPLAIN SELECT… doesnt show any significant difference. And looking at the ms times with my *really* small data set (11 posts) there does not appear to be much of a difference at all.
*EDIT*: 2 Queries are taking ~ 0.0015s (Told you it was a small result set..), A join query is taking 0.0036s usually, However keeps spiking up to 0.0080s, My guess is that 2 queries are going to scale better.
- Some backend work done on some installer code
- Experimented with the layouts of the Plugin listing (search results mainly)