Revision Control

One of the major features of WordPress 2.6 is Revisions; Revisions are a powerful feature for anyone who likes to keep a track of a page/post’s modifications, But they’re not for everybody.

There has been quite a bit of complaining that WordPress does not include a option to disable Revisions via the admin interface, and instead relied on a wp-config.php constant being defined. This plugin is designed to allow Configuring this option via the WordPress admin panel, And to set it on a per-post/page basis.

Visit Plugin homepage for download & screenshots

Week 7 Status report

Not much to report:

  • UI Styling updates
  • Posted a video
  • Started playing around with a Progress bar, There does not appear to be any premade Javascript libraries to make a quick and easy progress bar (There are some, But no real decent polished ones), I’ve hacked together one out of a few instead of starting from scratch, But its not very clean at all from the servers perspective, It really doesnt fit in well with the feedback loop of the installer/upgrader.. But i’m going to persist with it.
  • I’ve also been playing around with having the updater load in an thickbox iframe, To make the updater and the installer have similar looks/styling – It works, but not as smooth IMO (Also had to add a hack in to force thickbox to show the iframe before it finishes loading..)
  • The API hasnt been really touched the last 2 weeks, I spent some time trying to get the search to work better(Currently, Search for “Akismet” and its not even on the first result page.. Every other plugin that mentions Akismet ranks higher!) – I think that may be due to my local Plugins database’s index’s not being as good as the wordpress.org database, But i’m not sure, I’ve not heard back about how the searching is handled on wordpress.org.

Week 6 Status report

Another week has gone by, This weeks mainly been spent on:

  • Optimizing the code
  • Struggling through a weird problem with bbPress Searching, It took some effort, but i eventually worked it out (Stupid mistake on my part!)
  • Cross-browser CSS (IE had/has some issues)

But now i’d like to put a call out for some testers, The API is not hosted on WordPress.org, its hosted on my own server, so i’d prefer not to have heaps of people searching (My hosts MySQL is slow enough as it is). What i’m after is people who are willing to play around with it and make suggestions, If thats you, drop me a line via my contact page and we’ll work something out :)

I’ve updated the patch available at http://wordpress-soc-2008.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/dion/plugin-install.diff but its a bit weird, Some core WordPress commits are showing as code additions, not sure why (Merging must be failing), I’ll have to move it over onto a more clean install ready for 2.7 trunk code (My current aim is for this to start being commited into the 2.7 branch once 2.6 is out in a week or so)

Also, I took a bit of a break this week, As you can see by my pretty new facelift for the site; Long way there, And ran over many bugs on the way here! (..More caching is needed on category get_category_by_*() functions btw… Its accounting for ~6 queries all for the same object atm — I’ll think about writing up some patches soon possibly)